This year I thought I would try a mystery quilt-a-long. A few hints about the quilt are:
- It's dimensions are 52" x 52".
- It will be composed of four wool appliqued blocks, all of which have the same background.
- It will have sashing, and a border.
- The design will contain flowers as the title suggests.
- The picture above is the first block.
Some of you may not want to make the whole quilt, so I made each of the blocks a 17 1/2" square that can be used to make a 16" square pillow top.
This post will cover Block #1 assembly only.
Fabric Requirements - This is for the whole quilt minus the binding and backing. If you wish to make a pillow only refer to the cutting section that follows.
Note: I used neutral prints and wovens for the background fabrics. I've included the names of the fabrics I know.
· Fabric A – 5/8 yd.
· Fabric B – 3/8 yd. (Jan Patek Basic #12515-38)
· Fabric C – 1 ¼ yd. (Aged to Perfection - Color Pashmina from Fresh Water Designs)
· Fabric D – 7/8 yd. (Collage Scratch - Color 36531-4 by Carrie Bloomston for Windham Fabrics)
Block Cutting (If you are making all four blocks multiply the following by 4.)
· Fabric A – Cut one 10 ½” x 13 ½” rectangle.
Cut two 3” squares – Cut these in half diagonally to make four half square triangles (economy patch).
· Fabric B – Cut one 4 ½” x 10 ½” rectangle.
Cut one 2 ½” square (economy patch).
· Fabric C – Cut one 3 ½” x 8 ½” rectangle.
Cut one 4 ½” square.
· Fabric D – Cut one 7 ½” x 9 ½” rectangle.
Cut two 3 3/4” squares – Cut each of these in half diagonally to make four half square triangles (economy patch).
Let's begin with the economy block (this is also called a square within a square) located at the upper right corner of the background block. All seams are a scant 1/4".
- Center one of the Fabric "A" half square triangles along one side of the Fabric "B" 2 1/2" square, right sides together. Hint: I finger press both the square and half square triangles in half to find the center. This makes it easy to line up the centers.
- Sew together.
- Repeat on the opposite side with the next triangle.
- Press seams away from the center block.
- Trim the tails of the triangles flush with the sides of the block.
- Repeat with the remaining two triangles.
- Press seams away from center block.
- Trim the sides of the square leaving a 1/4" seam allowance from each point of the center square.
- Now repeat the steps with the Fabric "D" half square triangles. Again, all seams are pressed away from the center square. The final block should measure 4 1/2" x 4 1/2".
Okay, now it's time to put the block together.
- With right sides together, sew the economy block to the Fabric "C" 4 1/2" square.
- Sew this to the remaining Fabric "C" piece along the 8 1/2" edge.
- Sew this to the remaining Fabric "D" piece along the 7 1/2" side.
- Sew Fabric "A" to Fabric "B" along the 10 1/2" side.
- Sew this to the economy square/CD block along the 17 1/2" side.
Hooray! The background is complete!
Next post - Block #1 applique